Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I participated in numerous testing sessions on the human

Customer Question

I participated in numerous testing sessions on the human centrifuge which exposed me to intense levels of high G-forces. The simple question is could the prolong activity of the human centrifuge have possibly caused the vertigo with a 50% probability?
Frequent and prolonged displacement of balance-sensing fluids in his inner ear when tiny calcium crystals are displaced from either one or both of the otolith organs of the inner ear and fall down into one of the semicircular canals, disrupting the flow of the fluid of that canal. BPPV is a mechanical problem in the inner ear. It occurs when some of the calcium carbonate crystals (otoconia) that are normally embedded in gel in the utricle become dislodged and migrate into one or more of the 3 fluid-filled semicircular canals, where they are not supposed to be. These crystals can be temporarily reset, There are several types of repositioning maneuvers, including the Epley maneuver, the Semont, and the Appiani, which are specific to the semicircular canal that is involved. However, this only a temporary treatment the crystals will move back into the canals causing vertigo once again.
When the reason can be identified, it is typically the result of a head injury, which can range from mild to severe. Sometimes taking a misstep off the end of a curb is enough to displace one or more otoconia. High intensity aerobics or mountain biking on rough trails can also cause BPPV. The force apply to the body from the centrifuge and movement of the head during high G forces could displace the calcium crystals in the otolith organ and could cause the vertigo (dizzying feeling and nausea). Given the fact that this condition did not exist prior to his participation in centrifuge testing, but came about following a large number of tests and continues to affect him today, it is therefore reasonable to assume that said testing has played a contributing role in the development of my disability.
The test endured with rigorous high G activities during centrifuge testing while in the Navy, in my professional opinion it is at more likely than not (greater than a 50/50 chance) that my chronic vertigo (BPPV) problems are related to the frequent and prolonged G force and profound movement while testing in the centrifuge, during this time period.
If you agree would you be willing to give me your opinion in writing on your office letter head. This would be used in a VA claim.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

The experts at JustAnswer are not able to provide written documentation that could be used in a VA claim. If you are seeking an opinion that could be used in a VA claim, you would need to be seen by an ENT specialist.

This question appeared again on the Question List, but I do not see any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
because you could do this. I do not understand why you cannot give an opinion with 50% probability. However, if you cannot do that I understand and I will continue to search for a medical opinion and relist this question.

I can give you my opinion in this forum. I can also perform a search of the medical literature for you and provide a summary of findings. But the rules of JustAnswer does not allow the experts to provide legal opinions on our office letter head that could be used in a legal claim. That would typically require either a visit with a physician or a formal review of the entire medical record.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Therefore you cannot do this. I will not pay for you NOT being able to do something

OK