Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have had swelling in my ankles months now. It is in the

Customer Question

I have had swelling in my ankles for 2 months now. It is in the latter part of the day, (after lunch) and if I prop them up it goes down. I am overweight. I sit at a desk most of the day but on the weekends when I walk around all day they still swell.
It's not my feet....just my ankles. So the doctor put me on hctz for the fluid for 10 days. She said she's sure it's my sodium intake and I'm supposed to cut back that also. Everything I read says heart liver ir kidneys online. Also hctz is for edema caused
by those 3 things listed above...I can't find where it is just for swelling from too much sodium. But she didn't say anything about those. I'm 35 and a female if that helps.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

You are right that there are many pathologic causes causing ankle swelling, however several nonpathologic mechanisms may also cause leg swelling. For example, prolonged sitting, standing, or immobility may cause bilateral swelling of the ankles. This swelling usually affects the foot and disappears with rest and leg elevation.

Therefore if your doctor has examined you and ruled out the pathologic causes including venous problems causing ankle edema, you have nothing to worry and just continue with the treatment and follow up with your doctor.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just listened to my heart and lungs and all that. But my feet do not swell just around my l.ateral ankle bone (lateral malleolus) looks super puffy. Maybe a little around the medial malleolus also. Does that sound like heart, liver or kidneys? Or would I have other things going on? I have gained some weight since changing jobs and school
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

The gradually development of the swelling is due to the result of excess fluid in your tissues. This is unlikely to be due to heart, liver, or lungs since in these conditions the swelling will not likely decrease with activity. Also there would be other accompanying symptoms if this swelling was due to pathologic conditions. Another factor is the isolated ankle swelling which is most likely due to gravity and sitting or staying in one position for too long, since in pathologic conditions there may be swelling in other regions of the body as well.

Hence there is no need to worry, just certain measures such as moving and using the muscles in the ankle may help pump the excess fluid back to your heart. Also limiting salt intake will help. Massaging and elevating the leg will also be beneficial. Losing the excess weight and exercising will also help.

Take car.e

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to start walking today. And everyday. Thus morning it is just my right one that is swollen. But like i said if I were to go home from work and prop my feet up it would slowly go down. You said the swelling would decrease with activity above? Did you mean propping my feet up?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the swelling will decrease with activity and with contraction of the calf muscles. Propping your feet up also will be beneficial.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question I promise....but even if the swelling didn't go down with activity if it were heart or kidney or liver I would have other symptoms and things going on correct? (Cause I know you said if it were those 3 the swelling wouldn't decrease with activity) just saying if it didn't they would still be less likely the culprit correct?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Yes based on this isolated symptom that you are having, it is less likely related to failure of your heart, liver, or kidney.

Take care.