Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have MS and severe back pain. I'm allergic to norco so I

Customer Question

I have MS and severe back pain. I'm allergic to norco so I can only take it every six hours. Sometimes I don't need to take my pain medications and then there's days I have to take it in 6 hours is too long to wait for the next dose I'm hoping to find a medication that works like Norco or is better that I do not get a reaction to and the muscle relaxer that actually works
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if you were allergic to norco, you would be getting hives and rash and other allergic reactions to norco.

norco contains hydrocodone pain medication along with acetaminophen or tylenol in the same pill

it can be used every 4-6 hours for pain,

but you have to limit how much acetaminophen you take to less than 3000-4000mg of acetaminophen daily.

what reactions do you get from norco?

norco and other pain medications can often cause constipation. this is not an allergy, but a common side effect.

there are longer acting narcotic pain medications such as OxyContin or MS Contin which every pill can last about 8-12 hours.

you can talk to your doctor about these options

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get hives and itch like mad if I take my dose closer then 6 hours apart most of the time that side effect and benadryl is worth it instead of the pain but I getting tired of it now.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I see.

you should definitely stop the norco and hydrocodone

you should talk to your doctor about short acting oxycodone 5mg pills with no acetomenophen in them.

these might not cause you allergies

and will last for 4-6 hours just like norco

and you can also use long acting OxyContin 10-20mg pills twice a day as well for longer acting pain relief.

hopefully the oxycodone 5mg pills will not cause you hives and allergies

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to get a Dr. To prescribe oxy anything is ridiculous. The pain clinic my Dr. Sent me to wanted me on gabapenton and injections. I was on them before with no help. So I don't want to do it again. I'm just going to have to do my homework and find some willing to help.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

another option is to increase your hydrocodone dose to two norco every 6 hours

increasing the dose could help the norco last longer to closer to 6 hours.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't increase because of the allergy. My whole point in finding something like or stronger than norco that I don't react too. Because not being able to do anything knowing pain will soon come is no way to live.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

do you live in a state where medical marijuana can be used to help decrease pain?

you can also ask your pain doctors for a low dose 25-50mcg fentanyl patch which can be worn for 72 hours at a time and can deliver pain medications and can help decrease your pain levels so you can continue to use the norco.