Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have hypertension and take 25mg of atenolol and 30mg of

Customer Question

I have hypertension and take 25mg of atenolol and 30mg of linsinopril...my dentist prescribed 5mg of prednisone for my canker sores in my mouth is this bad for my pressure?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

prednisone can cause your body to retain fluids and this can slightly increase blood pressure.

5mg of prednisone is a super low dose though.

you should continue to monitor your blood pressure while you are taking the prednisone.

always take the prednisone with food in your stomach and first thing in the morning since prednisone can upset your stomach and can affect your sleep.

even small doses of prednisone can increase your appetite as well, so avoid overeating.

most canker sores are caused by viral infections and so you have to increase how much you sleep, eat more fruits and vegetables to help improve your immune system so your system can help fight off the canker sore. avoid alcohol and also take a multivitamin as well

let me know if you have questions