DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I was prescribed because I would drink a few drinks at night

Customer Question

I was prescribed Librium because I would drink a few drinks at night and my body got used to falling asleep that way. I never had withdrawal symptoms..I just couldn't sleep without it. I recently decided to stop drinking and was taking anywhere from 100-150 mg a night for a couple of weeks and then stopped. I went to a function a few days later and had a few drinks. I wound up in the ER. I tried to get up from my bar stool and either tripped or passed out. I am on blood thinners and my neck was cut open, my nose cut open...I fell flat on my face nose and jaw felt broken. Luckily they were not. Dumb question but do you agree I was on too high of a dose and not enough time went by before having a drink. I think what I really need is something to help me sleep at night. Any suggestions?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

that was a high, and not normally prescribed dosage.

And infact, it interacts negatively with alcohol

Yes, you need to talk to your doctor.

You need to not combine these drugs

You need to get help with the drinking problem.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the biggest waste of $25 I ever spent. What a scam!