Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had gallbladder surgery nearly 4 weeks ago. I started

Customer Question

I had gallbladder surgery nearly 4 weeks ago. I started deteriorating after the second week - feeling like I was going to pass out, extremely weak, diarrhea, taste bile in my mouth, nausea in the mornings, have to sleep sitting up, muscle and joint pain, etc. Can't take care of my 3 year old alone, can't work, etc. I eat only fat free - rice, boiled veggies. Docs said dehydration - increased liquids did not help. Surgeon wouldn't even entertain the idea that anything could be wrong and said it must've been a problem I had prior to surgery (incorrect) - referred me to gastro who can't see me for a month. PCP put me on Cholestyramine - felt sooo much better, felt like myself again, sadly, had a severe allergic reaction to it on 3rd day. PCP says my only alternative is fiber - is there anything I can do to have my life back? I have also lost alot of weight - almost 30 pounds (part of that was from before the surgery but I keep losing), weight in 120's
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

That is likely known as postcholecystectomy syndrome or PCS.
Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction can precipitate postcholecystectomy syndrome.
There is a possibility of a growth or obstruction at the opening of the sphincter of Oddi--this is where the pancreatic duct opens into the duodenum.
Sometimes bile stone can cause this blockage.
Also excess bile acid circulation through the intestine in the absence of gallbladder can precipitate similar symptoms.
To check the sphincter of Oddi dysfunction or biliary dyskinesia you will need a test specialized to look inside the duct.
MRCP is one such good test --a noninvasive test by MRI but specially focused to check the pancreatic duct and sphincter of Oddi.
Sphincter of Oddi manometry is another good option.
ERCP is another test which is invasive that can be considered as well.

Meanwhile, following medications can be tried to relieve your symptoms.

UDCA or ursodeoxycholic acid can be used to prevent bile stones and also excess bile acid related symptoms.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/