Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I HAVE A LIMITED BLOOD SUPPLY TO RIGHT FOOT. AN ANGIOGRAM

Customer Question

I HAVE A LIMITED BLOOD SUPPLY TO RIGHT FOOT. AN ANGIOGRAM WAS DONE , STINT ABOVE KNEE. dR THOUGHT THIS WOULS TAKE CARE OF THE HURTING FOOT. WELL THE
FOOT NEVER COMPLETLY STOPPED HURTING. oNE WEEK LATER I NOTICED THE BIG TOE
GOT REALLY SORE AND SWOLEN. aT THAT TIME A DK. PURPLE SPOT APPEARED. tHE SURGEON SAID TO ASE BEDATINE AND COULDNT NOT DO ANOTHER TEST FOR 1 WEEK. SEVERAL LAYERS OF SKIN HAVE COME Off ThE DARK SITES. iS THERE ANYTHING ALSE I CAN DO AT THIS TIME?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the toe?

I had asked for a picture and have not received a response.

There are a couple of home interventions that can be tried that may help with sores related to poor blood supply. It may help to soak the foot in warm water, and Betadine can be added to the warm water. It is important to note that the foot is not good at determining the temperature, because poor blood supply can also affect sensation in the foot, so it is better to use your hand to check the water to assure that it is warm, and neither too hot or cold. There should be good regular cleaning of the area after each soaking, and then pat completely dry.

If the site is getting secondarily infected, that would be more of a concern. The best that can be done over the counter would be an antibacterial ointment, but it usually would need more than this. However, until you can be seen, it would be the best option. Without reviewing a picture, it is difficult to say what level of concern is present that it may be infected.