Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I had rhuematic fever at the age of 9( i am now54 ) as a

Customer Question

I had rhuematic fever at the age of 9( i am now54 ) as a result i have a heart murmur..
Today i had a HepB shot but felt faint and felt a heavy sensation in the heart region..
My doctor did an ECG and informed me i have a Ectopic heartbeat , i constantly feel puplitations and my heart missing a beat...I am to revist my doctor in 2 weeks for a follow up ECG but what i am wondering is could this have been caused by rhuematic fever and is it something my children can get ?
I am at home and the heavyness has subsided but i can still clearly feel my ectopic heartbeat , it becomes worse when i go for walks ,which i do twice a day...
regards
Martha
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im very sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Now an ectopic heart beat is basically an abnormal beat of the heart which can come earlier than it should. There are two major types of an ectopic heart beat. A premature ventricular contraction which means that the ventricle of the heart contracted before it should and a premature atrial contraction which means that the atrium contracted before it should. Usually a PVC or PAC is harmless and wouldn't cause any symptoms. However they do need to be monitored because if PVC's occur right next to each other for a prolonged period of time, then a serious arrhythmia can occur.

Now what should be done here is not just an ECG but rather a 24 hour holter monitor test which would reveal how often do you get these PVC's. This would help the doctors in determining whether these PVC's are something which should be treated or not. Secondly it can also help in determining if there are any other arrhythmias which should be treated as well.

Now as far as the cause for this is concerned, It is very likely that this is due to the rheumatic fever that you had as a child. Rheumatic fever not only affects the valves but sometimes can predispose a patient to developing PVC's in the future along with several other arrhythmias as well. This is because of the damage to the heart which was caused by rheumatic fever. There are several other causes for the ectopic beat as well, this could include the following.

• Structural diseases of the heart (apart from rheumatic fever like cardiomyopathy)
  • Decrease in blood supply to the heart (coronary artery disease)
  • Electrolyte imbalances (potassium,calcium and magnesium deficiency)
  • Alcohol intake
  • Caffeine intake
  • Stress
  • Stimulant drugs

But it is NOT something which your children can catch from you. This isn't an infectious disease which could be transmitted to them. So you can see there are several causes of the ectopic heart beat apart from the rheumatic fever. But your children wont catch this from you.

I would recommend that you get the 24 hour holter monitor test done along with a echocardiogram because you also have a hart murmur which should be evaluated as well. If needed following these tests you could undergo a stress test or even an angiography.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have anymore questions? If done for now, please leave a positive feedback rating as i am not compensated for my time until you do. You can alwasy ask follow up questions after that.