Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

My husband is a fantastic mechanic (36 years, he is 57 yrs

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** husband is a fantastic mechanic (36 years, he is 57 yrs old) but works with some toxic fluids, cleaners, transmission fluids, engine oil, spray cleaners, brake cleaners, etc. He broke out in hives and a serious rash about 3 months ago. It has not waned in seriousness. He cannot take an antihistamine at work, he is required to do test drives. The infection has spread to spots on his legs, small breakouts. His arms however are covered with this red, nasty looking rash and hives. It will bleed if he scratches it.
He does not take prescription meds, he often takes Naproxen for "old man aches and pains". Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen upset his stomach.
He has been using Witch Hazel to try to dry the rash out and then puts Aloe on it to try to rejuvenate his skin. It is not healing and he cannot take off work to go to the doctor. He will take Benadryl at night to keep from scratching himself.
What can I do for him? I am at my wits end.
History: no new foods. No medications as I said. No new drinks. He rarely drinks alcohol and if he does it is an occasional beer. And I do mean rarely. There is nothing NEW that I can associate with this outbreak.
What can I do?
Thank you so much in advance. Cindie Eichner
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

I have read the info that you provided , it would be ideal for him to get a skin prick test to check allergies .

And than he should be vaccinated against particular allergens which is effecting him .

I will suggest him to consult Allergist and get test as I mentioned to decide what to do next , to help him out .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please leave positive feedback for me .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My thought now is that you should read my question again. I informed you that he has NOT been in contact with anything new. He has worked in this field for 37 years. And as I stated he cannot take time off. I'm quite used to being blown-off by physicans.