Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My wife used a sinus rinse and now her inner ears both sides

Customer Question

My wife used a sinus rinse and now her inner ears both sides are giving a lot of pressure and pain, what can be done
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

She is likely suffering from the possibility for water to be forced through the Eustachian tubes (which run between the middle of your ears and the back of your nose) into the ear. The water will drain as the tubes readjust themselves, and when this is the cause then sometimes swallowing, yawning or chewing sugar-free gum to open your eustachian tubes is beneficial. However when this doesn't work, taking a deep breath and trying to blow out of your nose gently while pinching your nostrils closed and keeping the mouth shut will help.

But despite all these measures if the symptoms do not improve and are severe then do call her doctor. Her ears will need to be examined by her doctor. However there is no need to worry since these are self limited symptoms and will resolve gradually upon treatment.

Taek care.