Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I had a colostomy reversal back in may. Then debridement in

Customer Question

I had a colostomy reversal back in may. Then debridement in June twice due to abcesses. My question is today I have noticed by my belly button and scar my abdomen is moving like an alien is trying to get out. Also in that area it gets bloated and tight
after I eat. This area always feels strange. When I cough it feels like something moves. My abdomen still gets sore. Why would my abdomen be moving around for me to see?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The primary concern in this situation is whether there is a weakness of the scar that is forming from the prior surgery. And if some of the abdominal contents are protruding into this area of weakness, it would be considered a hernia. If there is a protrusion in this area when you cough or bear down, that would be worrisome for a hernia.

If this is the area where there was the abscess and debridement, then that could increase the risk of developing weakness of the scar, but there is some risk of developing this weakness following any abdominal surgery.

If there is no significant pain or any associated nausea or vomiting, this would not be a reason to be seen urgently, but it would be appropriate for this to be checked by your doctor when you are next seen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know why I can see my scar moving. It's lime watching one of those movies where the stomach is moving and an alien pops out lol. I went to emergency room they took just an xray they said everything looked fine

The primary concern would be if the area is weak. If the area is weak, then it would tend to be thinner than usual, and the movement could be the undulations of the gut within the abdomen that is visible through the skin and subcutaneous tissue. A weak area would also explain why the area feels like something moves when you cough.

If there is an assessment that shows that there is no area of weakness, then that would be reassuring, and the most likely cause of visible movement if there is no weakness would be that the skeletal muscles in the abdominal wall are contracting and relaxing.