Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I got a number of bug bites on the back of my neck on the

Customer Question

I got a number of bug bites on the back of my neck on the right side between spine and ear; and up into the hair a bit. Quite sore and swollen at the start, they are now mostly healed. But hard little bumps have formed from which are emanating periodic neuralgic pain not unlike an ear infection. The described pain is sometimes going down into my jaw and sometimes radiates up into my ear. How can I treat this at home? Or do I have to be seen by a doctor?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

do you have a pic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No photos. Tried but difficult bec just inside hairline
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking spider bites although the location is weird and I woke up with the bites this past Thurs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are also two more hot bites on the upper and outer edge of my ear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are more obviously bites
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The puffiness that was in my jawline near the ear has dissipated somewhat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can you tell me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why won't my payment process?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need an answer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you working on this or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This website SUCKS! I'm stopping payment.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

The other expert has opted out, although I do not know why he did not address your question.

Do you wish to receive an answer?

There appears to e a problem with communication.

There are a couple of over the counter treatments that can be used for local reactions to bug bites, including oral antihistamines or topical hydrocortisone, a mild steroid. If the bites are getting infected, that is not well treated over the counter. Antibiotic ointments are the best that can be done, but are of limited effectiveness, or more properly, it is only slightly more effective than good cleaning with soap and water. It is usually better for infected bug bites to be treated with oral antibiotics, which would require a prescription. From your descriptions, these do not sound to be infected, but reviewing a picture would be more reassuring that it does not appear to be infected.