Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have one tender bumps of in crease of upper leg and on a

Customer Question

I have one tender bumps of in crease of upper leg and on a little higher about pea size. The muscle in right buttock feels tight around hip arra feels tight and lower back feels tight. . I believe the bumps may be lymph nodes nodes. May be two seperate thing. I noticed nodes three weeks ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, the bumps that are in the crease of the upper leg are most likely lymph nodes. If the tenderness is mild, noticing lymph nodes in this location is generally not an issue. If the tenderness is greater, then there may be a concern that there may be an infection, but infected lymph nodes are also usually larger than pea sized. It is far more common, though, for lymph nodes to be reactive and may take a couple months to return to baseline size. There are also some people that have small lymph nodes that can be felt in this area all the time, but as long as they remain pea sized and are not significantly tender, that would not be a problem.

Tightness in the muscles around the hip and higher in the back are probably unrelated to lymph nodes in the crease of the upper leg. The only condition that could cause lymph node enlargement and muscle aches and tightness would be a viral infection, but this would be less likely with symptoms that have persisted for three weeks. The muscle tightness would most often be due to a muscle strain and will usually improve with the use of over the counter anti-inflammatory medicines, along with local care of ice, moist heat, massage and stretching exercises.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One of the bumps is out of crease diagonal Upward about 1/2 inch. It feels a little smaller than the one in crease but they are both bigger than the nodes in other crease. So no since in getting them looked at unless they get bigger or if they stay the same for how long should I get them looked at?

There is no need to get them checked unless they are more than just mildly tender or if they continue to enlarge or if they persist for more than 2-3 months.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

You are most welcome.

I hope that I have provided a complete answer and excellent service. Please let me know if there is any additional information that would be helpful.