Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

A few years ago I was scratching my lower back and felt a

Customer Question

A few years ago I was scratching my lower back and felt a lump that was under the skin, I went to the doctor and she checked it and said she didn't think it was anything to worry about, I'm worried that it is cancer!! Can someone help me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

What did your doctor think was the cause of the lump?

Is this visible if you were to take a picture of the lump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not visible, it's inder the skin and the doctor said she didn't think it was anything serious but I don't really remember because it was a few years ago I went and had it checked

Since it is not visible, can you describe how the lump feels in more detail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about a nickel size and it's feel like it's under the skin but doesn't feel any different from when I first noticed it

The size of the lump does not help to suggest what would be the cause of the lump. However, if when you say that it does not feel any different than when you first noticed it, you mean that it has remained the same size over the last few years, then there is no reason for you to be concerned about whether this is cancer.

There are many benign lumps that can occur under the skin that can be the size of a nickel, and the most common are a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma, a benign growth of fatty tissue. These benign lumps will commonly not get larger over a few years.

So, there is nothing about this lump that sounds worrisome for cancer.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.