Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I took a double dose of Sotalol 80 mg by mistake what should

Customer Question

I took a double dose of Sotalol 80 mg by mistake what should I do ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Accidentally taking a single extra dose of Sotalol 80 mg is usually not an issue. The 80 mg dose is the starting dose, but the dose range for the Sotalol is up to 160 mg every 12 hours. So, taking a single extra dose of the Sotalol is still within the dosing range of the drug.

The only potential issue is in the few people in whom the 80 mg dose causes a borderline low blood pressure or a low heart rate. It usually does not happen at the 80 mg dose, but it can happen and if someone is already on the low side from the 80 mg strength, accidentally taking an extra dose can lower the blood pressure or heart rate further.

If you have the ability to monitor your blood pressure and heart rate at home, it would be reasonable to check it a few times over the next few hours, while the drug level is peaking in the body. If you do not have the ability to monitor your blood pressure and heart rate, it is not necessary to be seen just to get the blood pressure and heart rate checked, but if you develop any lightheadedness or weakness, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.