Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am a resident of FL, I take a 5 mg oxocodone knee and p

Customer Question

I am a resident of FL, I take a 5 mg oxocodone for chronic knee and hip pain, I am out of town and need to renew the script, am I required to personally pick up the prescription or may I have my daughter, an RN pick it up for me?
Craig M. Cotterman
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

No, it is not required that the patient be the individual to pick up the prescription for oxycodone, either the prescription itself from the doctors office or the pills from the Pharmacy. At least from a legal perspective, it is allowed.

However, the doctors office may implement protocols to ensure the privacy for their patients. For example, the office may ask each patient to designate who is permitted to pick up prescriptions for them. This will allow the patient to limit or allow family members in these situations. Many of these practices will expect that this designation and any changes in this designation only occur when the patient is in the office, since it is difficult to assure the identity of the patient over the phone or other communication method. If your doctors office has implemented such a system and you have not previously designated your daughter, then it could be an issue. You would need to check with the office to see if such a system is in place.

The fact that your daughter is an RN does not help nor hinder the issue.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.