Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I had a hep C test and the results said 0.1 negative.

Customer Question

I had a hep C test and the results said 0.1 negative. Negative range was 0-0.9 Do you know why it would be 0.1 and not 0. I have had 3 of the same antibody tests (over the last two years) and they all said <0.1 and now it says 0.1. I know its still in
the negative range, but would it still for sure be 0, and why would it change? Also, there have been no other exposures. Last exposure almost a year ago
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

I think that this deals with a degree of ambiguity as to your antibody profile. You may have never had HEP C but some non HEP C antibodies may cross react ....the test therefore has a non zero threshold to be considered positive ....so your test result still is very comfortably negative to HEP C. I hope that this information is helpful and makes sense. Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it didn't say 0, the last three times were <0.1 and now its 0.1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
<0.1
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Are you saying there is ambiguity as to whether or not this means that i have Hep C antibodies? And what is meant by my antibody profile?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I be certain I don't have hep C if the result was <0.1 this time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, a year after exposure I tested negative at <0.1 and then another year after that with no other exposures I tested 0.1 which is why it was so weird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, the day before this last test I had a blood test / CBC and some other tests, so had a lot of blood drawn. Could this have caused it to be 0.1 the next day?

Hello again!

You are comfortably NEGATIVE to HEP C here is the bot***** *****ne. I don't have a specific reason as to why you had this minor fluctuation but it does not really have significance . I would not think you having blood drawn would have any impact ...the <0.1 vs 0.1 could be results as well if testing more in the future....say for example if you had 6 such tests then 3 might be <0.1 vs 0.1 or other result still within negative range ( I am not saying that you need that much testing ...I only use it as example )

I hope that this is helpful Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.... So you definitely don't think I don't need any more testing done? Would this be what you would tell a patient?And that it is definitely safe to say I don't have hep c and shouldn't worry about it anymore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I had a liver panel done for routine blood work and everything was normal (if someone had hepatitis would it have shown in a liver panel after at least a year?)

Hello again,

Yes you do not have HEP C. You do not need further testing.I would tell my patients the exact same in your described situation .I hope that this is helpful. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Take care!

Anthony Bray MD

Yes liver panel would be expected to be abnormal if you had hepatitis C...that also does not fit with you having that infection.

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD