Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My mother in law has a Staff infection in her leg. She had

Customer Question

My mother in law has a Staff infection in her leg. She had Cancer of the Tibia and after that the incision got infected. She has had IV ANTIBOTICE FOR 2 MONTH then it came back IN 2 WEEKS AFTER SHE QUIT THE ANTIBOTIC. then for another 2 months and now and now 3 week later it has come back. They want to put a pic in and give it for another 2 month. It obvious the IV treatments are not working Can you tell me some type of Pill she could take maybe for month that she might take to control the infection she is 89 years old and just not able to go through the IV again. She could take the pill for a long time if needed.
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Since it didn't work, she should have the infected part cleaned with a surgery. I don't think oral antibiotics will works.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had surgery to clear it up also has had it scraped out several times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of surger are you talking about?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It is called debridement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have done that several times.
It seems to be healing up and does not look infected. But when she went ot her primary Dr last week they called and said the culture showed it had infection. It has some clear drainage coming form it
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Did they culture the clear drainage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to call and find out.. they took it of the drainage with a quetip. the drainage looks clear but on the gauze it turns kind of brown, like it may have some blood in it \\\\\
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are yo still there it been over 15 min
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you heard of a medicine called oritavancin They say on line it just take 1 IV of this to do what it take weeks of the other to do.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Treatment of adult patients with acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI) caused by susceptible isolates of the following gram-positive microorganisms: Staphylococcus aureus (including methicillin-susceptible and methicillin-resistant isolates); Streptococcus pyogenes; Streptococcus agalactiae; Streptococcus dysgalactiae, Streptococcus anginosus group (including S. anginosus, S. intermedius, S. constellatus); and Enterococcus faecalis (vancomycin-susceptible isolates only)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You ask me if they took the cluture of the clear liquid . they took it off the drainage with a quetip. the drainage looks clear but on the gauze it turns kind of brown, like it may have some blood in it \\\\\
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

fever? how was her recent blood test about the inflammation such as CRP, white blood cells?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fever. the last blood work all showed up good around 3 week ago . Does cleaning it out take care of any infection?
A vascular DR cleaned it out on 10-15-15 He acted like it look good. But when she went to her primary Dr, he thought he needed to do a culture. Now he want to put her on IV antibiotic again and we had 4 months and it has not done any good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not satisfied with your answers. It takes to long for and answer and you do not answer my questions. I have answer both of your replys but you just act like you do not remember what you ask me
Expert:  TheGermDoctor replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the results from that culture they did with the swab?