Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)
16766337

I have not slept now in 12 nights. I was prescribed

Customer Question

I have not slept now in 12 nights. I was prescribed Trazodone, it did not work. Then Restoril, still nothing. Before prescription drugs I tried a small dose of alcohol (a few shot glasses of port, and not with any pills), Alteril, Benadryl. Nothing has worked. I stopped drinking coffee for four of these days, but that did not seem to have an effect.
Before this I have had bouts of waking up at 3 or 4 am and not getting back to sleep. Coffee in the afternoon would make me more tired often. I have an appointment with a sleep center on Tuesday, but wanted to see if a doctor had any advice. I am terrified I have fatal familial insomnia.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

I will try to help you out regarding your concern ...

Please let me know have you ruled out the treatable medical causes of insomnia like Hyperthyroidism , underlying anxiety , or use of other drugs that make you awake ?

Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I have not discussed Hyperthyroidism at this juncture with my doctor, I did see an endocrinologist earlier this year who said I was fine. I would think if it was anxiety that the meds I have been prescribed that I mention (Trazodone, Restoril) would have worked, but they did not. I saw a new therapist last week. I take hctz/lisinoprol for high blood pressure and a weekly vitamin D pill - those are the only other meds I am on and my doctor did not mention those might be the cause.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have GERD, but I cut down/cut out certain things. Cut way down on coffee, cut out citrus, onions, peppers, other things that exacerbate GERD. I went to the endocrinologist because back in February I was having chest pains, went to a cardio doc, had a CTA scan, echocardiogram. I had minor mitral and aortal regurgitation but that I was told was because of high blood pressure, which I am now on meds for, since April.
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for info ...

Well HCT/ Lisinopril , Vitamin D could not be the reason of insomnia .

Yes coffee stimulates nerves , so you should take it out completely in your daily routine , and coffee also triggers anxiety .

It seems that cause of insomnia in your case is underlying anxiety and respected customer keep in mind that anxiety medicine do not act very quickly almost after starting it takes three weeks , to start action .

So first thing that I would like to add be well adherent with pills prescribed by your dr , and while on pills keep in mind that they will effect slowly .

Second I will suggest you to have your thyroid function test .

Third , with anti-anxiety pills you should add short acting pills from Benzodiazepines like Bromazepam for sleep induction , so these will help you in short term while other pills for long term .

GERD has great association with anxiety , so this could be the manifestation of anxiety .

Get treatment along with test and proceed as I advised you .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was taking the Trazodone and Restoril to help me sleep. Is it not alarming that I have not slept in 12 days?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I cut the coffee out, I felt no difference.
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

This is not alarming , this indicates the severity of anxiety , and you may need high dose of pills , and As I mentioned pills takes at least three weeks to built up level in blood to start anti-anxiety action .

You should remain well adhere with treatment and meanwhile get test .

Regards .

Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 1 year ago.

Are you there ...