Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Very embarrassing. I got a lodged in my anal canal last

Customer Question

Hi. Very embarrassing. I got a vibrator lodged in my anal canal last night, and cannot retrieve it. I was hoping natural processes would dislodge it, but so far no luck.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

When any foreign object is lodged into the rectum and it is not causing any pain, it is reasonable to wait and see if it will pass with bowel movements. Manual methods would also be OK, if done gently, although many people are not comfortable attempting manual methods. It would even be OK to try a laxative or enema to stimulate a stronger bowel movement to try and pass the object.

However, if the object will not pass by bowel movements or manual methods, then the next step would require being seen by a doctor. If there is any pain or other symptoms related to the foreign object, then it would be appropriate to be seen by a doctor urgently. A doctor can perform a better manual extraction and also has a number of instruments that can be used to help remove the foreign object.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should one wait for natural processes before going to the doctor and next steps? There is no pain, just slight pressure. Another complication is I Iive in Haiti, and I use a physicians assistant who provides medical services for the US embassy here.

If there is pressure but no pain from the foreign object, it would be better for you to be seen as soon as possible, even though not an emergency. Some of the complications that can arise from a foreign body are due to pressure applied to the wall of the rectum or anus, so while the absence of pain is good from the perspective of whether emergency care is necessary, it still would be good to see your doctor, or physicians assistant, as soon as possible.