Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I had gastric bypass surgery (RNY) on 8/4/15. I have a had a

Customer Question

I had gastric bypass surgery (RNY) on 8/4/15. I have a had a lot of complications that my surgeon has taken for inconsequential. Yesterday, after feeling particularly weak, lethargic, and like I had the flu (without actually having it), I sought help at an urgent care. They ran blood work and found that my Red and White cells were low. RBC: 4.2 and WBC: 4.1. My BUN level was a 3. My platelet count was ok at a 208 and Hct was 38.9. I took these results to my primary care doctor who said the numbers didn't make sense to her and ordered more bloodwork which I am waiting on now.
I feel very sick. I don't have any energy at all. My muscles are crampy and they hurt. What could be going on with me?
Thanks!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Roux en Y has gone largely out of favor as a bariatric procedure. It is because of the nutritional deficiencies, discomfort and digestive issues that it causes. Electrolyte imbalance, vitamin deficiency are some of the things that can cause the symptoms you are having. I agree with your Primary, that your numbers do not make sense and a repeat full blood count along with a peripheral film and differential count should be ordered to further evaluate these, I think your primary might have sent these tests already.

Mean while, I would suggest that you start on oral rehydration solutions like Gatorade or Pedialyte and keep yourself on a bland diet.

Try to drink adequate water as well and get some bed rest. You will also benefit from Tylenol 2 tablets every 6 to 8 hourly.

If the symptoms get worse, I would advise that you go to the Emergency room or an urgent care for evaluation.

Let me know if there are any queries you have.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please Let me know if you have further questions.