Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a fatty liver and now expericing bloating and pain in

Customer Question

i have a fatty liver and now expericing bloating and pain in upper chest near my right shoulder, just above breast but below collar bone. I also have a small round lump on right side of abdomen. i had a complete metabolic panel done a couple of weeks ago and all looked good.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Now a fatty liver shouldnt cause this sort of pain in the chest or the shoulder for that matter. Usually a fatty liver can cause pain in the right side of the abdomen just below the ribcage. If you have a gallbladder problem on the other hand that can cause radiation of the pain upto the tip of the right shoulder blade but that too wouldnt cause pain in the chest area. It is possible that you could have two problems which are occuring at the same time. Its possible that you have a gallbladder problem which can be stones or even dysfunction of the gallbladder which is causing you the bloating/pain in the abdomen.

The second problem which could be causing the pain in the chest can be related to a local issue in the chest wall. Its possible that you have costochondritis which is inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs which can cause pain in the chest as well as tenderness on pressing the affected area. It can be treated with simple NSAID drugs like motrin or aleve after a doctor confirms that this is the problem.

Its also possible that the pain is due to a simple muscle strain which can cause pain in this area of teh chest. This again can be treated with simple painkillers as well as adequate hydration along with increased electolyte intake. Usually a muscle strain can resolve in a few days with the right treatment.

lastly the pain in the chest, if it worsens with breathing or is associated with shortness of breath or even coughing, could be related to the lungs or the covering of the lungs which are known as the pleura. This can be due to a condition known as pleurisy in which the coverings are inflammed due to an underlying infection. A clinical examination as well a chest xray can rule this out.

now i would suggest that you do get the abdominal ultrasound tomorrow and also get the doctor to examine you so he can determine which of these conditions are likely to be afflicting you. A simple examination can reveal much about the underlying problem and then you can be started on the exact treatment for the problem

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

One more thing the small lump in the abdomen is likely to be related to a soft tissue swelling if it moves in all directions. Commonly lipomas present in this manner which small overgrowths of fatty tissue which are benign in nature.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Do you have any other questions? If not i would appreciate it if you could leave a positive rating as until you do i do not get compensated for my time.