Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I broke the further bone in my middle finger, right hand, on

Customer Question

I broke the further bone in my middle finger, right hand, on 6th September. X-rays on 29 September and again 19 October show that the bone is still not healed. I have had little follow-up treatment, as I did it abroad and have been travelling. I use a
splint to immobilise the last two joints, I change the tape that holds it on each day. How long should a simple fracture like this take to heal? I am worried that strapping it too tightly will reduce blood flow to the tip of the finger and delay healing -
what's more important? Immobilisation or free blood flow? I am off on my travels again on Friday, when should I get another x-ray done? It still hurts, so despite the awkwardness of the splint I'm fairly happy to have it strapped. Advice would be very welcome.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 1 year ago.

How long should a simple fracture like this take to heal?

It usually takes around two to four weeks to heal up completely. Sometimes it can take up to eight weeks to heal up. If healing has not happened by that time then you should be seen by the hand surgeon or orthopedic doctor to see if you would require a surgery or not.

I am worried that strapping it too tightly will reduce blood flow to the tip of the finger and delay healing - what's more important?

Yes you are right.

Strapping it too tightly can cause problems.

You should make sure that it is not too tight.

If it is too tight you will have pain or numbness or both.

I am off on my travels again on Friday, when should I get another x-ray done?

You can have another x-ray in about two weeks after you had this one done.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Please rate me by clicking on one of the stars.

Kind regards