Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

My daughter has chronic pancreatitis and is on meth and

Customer Question

My daughter has chronic pancreatitis and is on meth and dilaudid for pain. She is out of both and does not have an appt w/a primary care doc until the 29th which means she is going thru w/d and no guarantee that this doc can even write scripts for them. She is on Access insurance. Can you give us any direction. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 year ago.

has she tried a local urgent care?

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Have her call the health department and find out where the neighborhood clinics are.

These are usually on sliding scale: she will see a doctor and pay what she can.

If there are any teaching hospitals she can get to, she can enroll, or apply to enroll, in the medical clinic at any of them. These are typically on sliding scale, and she would be tied into specialist.

The ER will be expense.

Urgent care less expensive.

However, for chronic pancreatitis with pain, neither is likely to just give her meds. There needs to be an ongoing relationship.

That said, if she goes into serious withdrawal, the ER would be bound to help her.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.