Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am a 54 year old female, very active, have been in

Customer Question

Hi I am a 54 year old female , very active, have been in excellent health.
Developed a cough/cold a week ago and is improving. While at the doctor, I mentioned that I had lost a little weight and wasn't as hungry as usual, so he ordered blood work. I have been training for a half marathon, which is this Sunday, and attribute that to the weight loss, plus not eating as much. Some of the labs were "mildly elevated" ( inflammatory response markers, ALT and AST, calcium) so he wants me to have a liver ultrasound. Could these abnormal lab values be attributed to the fact that I had a cold at the time, and have been training for the run? My daughter is an MD and she said that see wouldn't have done anything about the lab values, but rechecked after the half marathon when I get back to more normal activity..any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, if you are having a cold, this can cause weight loss and can cause mild elevation of inflammatory markers and ALT and AST and calcium

that is good your daughter is an MD

I would get a copy of your blood testing.

I would be happy to review your levels with you.

make sure you at least drink plenty of fluids and water and tea with honey and lemon and gadorade fluids to stay hydrated if you are not eating much.

make sure you get a flu shot this year

I'm not sure I would run in the 1/2 marathon since you are still recovering.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com