Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I had a complete hysterectomy in 2010 and have been on the

Customer Question

I had a complete hysterectomy in 2010 and have been on the Minivelle Hormone patch since that time. I work out, run, and follow a strict diet to try and stay in shape but have struggled with my weight for years. I don't have anything to drink except water and milk. I never eat food from a box of any kind and mainly eat vegetables and meats. No sweets and no bread, rice or pasta for the past 2 years.
I stopped taking the minivelle patch about 3 weeks ago because of the added expense after changing insurance and have since lost 10 lbs without changing anything in my diet or workout routine. I experience occational night sweats but they are not bad. Is it possible the weight was staying on because of the patch? And will it hurt to end it now. I am 50 years old. I am 5'8" tall and 3 weeks ago I weighed 189. Now I weigh 179. Thanks, ***** ***** Hadskey
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

Minivelle is an estradiol transdermal patch which can cause fluid retention and blood pressure elevation and can cause glucose intolerance and weight changes as side effects

it sounds like you are in menopause or perimenopausal

you still need to get your thyroid hormone levels checked. low thyroid hormones can cause weight gain.

did you have your ovaries removed during hysterectomy?

you can get blood estrogen and LH and FSH levels checked to see if you are in menopause.

also blood AM cortisol and ACTH levels can be checked to see if your steroid hormone levels are normal.

the occasional night sweats is most likely a sign of menopause.

it sounds like the patch was most likely causing fluid retention

that is why 10 lbs came off quickly after you stopped the patch.

let me know if you have questions.