DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I had blood test done last Thursday some tests came back

Customer Question

I had blood test done last Thursday some tests came back abnormal my hemocrit level was 45.4 normal range they want it is 31.2-41.9, my hemoglobin was a bit high it was at 14.9 they want the normal range at 10.9-14.3, but my platelet count was a bit low
at 170 normal range they want it is 179-408 and my lactate dehydrogenase was a bit low too at 87 normal range they want it is 98-192. I was in the hospital overnight for observation a week before for some chest pain so I did get a heparin shot in my skin in
my abdomen that week before they diagnosed me in the hospital with spontaneous pneumothorax but when I saw my regular doctor last week he had me do a new chest X-Ray that showed no signs of pneumothorax and the same day I saw him a CT Scan of chest he called
me later that same day and said the CT Scan showed no signs of pneumothorax either. So what do you think the results of these abnormal blood tests results from last Thursday could indicate if anything.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

None of these results are out of line to a significant extent.

If you are a smoker or have any lung problems, or were dehydrated, this would explain the hematocrit.

The others, as well are well within lab error ranges.

This is why none of your doctors has acted on these.

I would simply repeat these labs in three months.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can these abnormal the slightly low level of platelet and Lactate dehydrogenes and slightly elevated hemoglobin and hemocrit blood test result affect my exercise capability and if so how would it impact it and if I want my trainer to look up information on how these test would affect my exercise ability how would I tell him to research it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't also know if it is due to these slightly abnormal test results that I haven't been feeling quite right. I have been feeling extremely tired, like no energy, extremely cold everyday almost to point to my bones, feeling nauseated and upset stomach everyday even though I am still eating well balanced meals each day at least 3 meals a day.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

These tests are not meaningful for any condition at all.

I am sure your doctor has told you this, or would have alerted you if he/she thought there were a problem.

I suggest you get a sed rate.

A normal to low sed rate rules out a lot of illnesses.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.