Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a large atal hernia and celiac disease. After eating

Customer Question

I have a large hiatal hernia and celiac disease. After eating lunch with friends I became severely ill. My stomach pain was similar to the pain of contractions. I could barely talk. I became over heated, nauseated, dizzy and a little disoriented. I also vomited several times. What happened? Should I go my doctor or was it a reaction to gluten?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If the symptoms develop quickly, it is more likely that it was cramping related to the large hiatal hernia. If there was a delay of onset of symptoms then there would be more concern that it was related to gluten intolerance, assuming that you ate something with gluten.

It is also possible that it was unrelated to either problem, as some people with no pre-existing medical conditions may develop these symptoms , which can happen from viral infections, various food poisonings, gastritis, or gallbladder disease.

All of your description is written in the past tense, so if that means that the symptoms have improved spontaneously, then there is no need to see a doctor, regardless of the underlying cause. It would only be necessary to be seen if the symptoms are continuing. If the symptoms are severe, then it would be appropriate to be seen urgently, but if the pain is less severe, it would be fine to give it more time before being seen.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are correct my symptoms have subsided. I have had my gallbladder removed and another person in my group had the meal with no symptoms. My concern is that my hernia is getting worse. This was the most "violent" episode should I see a gastro specialist instead of a family practitioner who has me scoped, etc.

A single bad episode is generally not a reason to consider altering long term management of a hiatal hernia or contemplation of surgery. If there has been multiple episodes and this latest episode is the worst yet, then there would be more of a concern and it would be appropriate to be seen. But if this is the only episode that has occurred recently, then it would not be necessary to be seen.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.