Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My question is about gout, specifically its triggering

Customer Question

My question is about gout, specifically its triggering effects. I'm familiar with the causative effects of dehydration, beer and alcohol, purines etc. but would like to know more about the role of oxalates in vegetables. Apparently these react with calcium
in the gut, blood and elsewhere to form calcium (and Mg) crystals.These tiny crystals can apparently block tubules in the kidney and thus reduce the kidney's ability to process sufficient uric acid for elimination. Those oxalates that crystallize in the gut
are eliminated harmlessly in the stools. If accurate would it then make sense to incorporate a little Mg and Ca citrate in the meal when eating high oxalate foods such as beets, chard, spinach etc.? If so what ratio would be appropriate given the electrolytic
balance of the gut and the different solubility of the two citrates? If indeed this works it could be a good way to minimize gout attacks, a very painful condition. This question arises from two suspicious and severe gout attacks in the last year. The first
followed a long period of consuming buckwheat bread (45% buckwheat) while the second followed a ten day period of enjoying beets. Thank you, Michael.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

There seems to be some confusion here. GOUT is related to too high of levels of URIC ACID >>NOT OXALATE

Calcium oxalate is however the most common type of kidney stone,,

BOTH uric acid and calcium oxalate may cause kidney stones..

For details to avoid high amounts of oxalate see reference >>

http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitors/education/nutrition/Pages/low-oxalate-diet.aspx

For details on avoiding uric acid and thus gout attacks >> see reference >>

www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/gout-diet/art-20048524

The calcium citrate is fine and magnesium citrate is fine ... Plenty of fluid in general is your best friend to protect vs kidney stones(caution do not drink much tea as this is rich in oxalate however)

8 to 12 fluid ounces every 2 hours while awake for prevention of kidney stones but every hour while awake to treat an active stone however..

I hope that these references and this information is helpful for you. Let me know if I may be of further help. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD