Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Does an ulcer cause heartburn and reflux?

Customer Question

does an ulcer cause heartburn and reflux?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It is not that an ULCER of the stomach CAUSES heartburn or reflux BUT rather that the same factors of irritation may CAUSE BOTH !

So to help with ulcer or with heartburn/reflux >> avoid GI irritants such as Alcoholic drinks, coffee, hot spicy or acidic foods, (tomato based products, peppers, citrus fruits, onions) or anti-inflammatory meds such as aspirin, Advil or Aleve (acetaminophen is OK)

TO help reduce heartburn>> reflux precautions also help >> 1) Wait 1 and 1/2 hour after you eat before you lie down

2) You may benefit to raise the head of bed on blocks 4 to 6 inches ( this helps to keep the upper body at a bit of incline in any sleep position)

Medicines to reduce your stomach acid may help BOTH an ulcer and may help heartburn/reflux ... (Prilosec, Prevacid, Nexium, Zantac, others as may be prescribed by your doctor)

So the ulcers and heartburn are related YES but the first does not cause the second per se...

I hope that this is helpful for you. let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD