DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

Can someone please help! About a month or two ago I had 2

Customer Question

Can someone please help! About a month or two ago I had 2 really bad episodes of acid reflux, last night I had got home late and ate dinner around 7:30 and didn't think anything of it and laid down, the acid reflux i got got was bad and fell asleep a few hours later on the chair after taking prevacid and zantac, i take prevacid every day but today its still bothering me, its not as bad as last night but still there, I had a yogurt for lunch and that it, it feels like i have to burp and sometimes I can and sometimes I can't.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Hoellering and pleased to help you. Prevacid can omnly help if you take it on an empty stomach! It is worthless when you have eaten already, because then it stucks in the food and doesn't reach the duodenum where it can be resorbed. I would take Prevacid every morning 30 minutes beforde breakfast for at least a week. Then it should be better. If not, you will need a dosage of 30 mg.

Stuides showed that the combination of Prevacid and Zantac doesn' work better than Prevacid alone. Beter combine Prevacid with medication like Maaloxan. This works best AFTER eating and can be useful when Prevacid wasn't strong enough. It can be taken on demand. Please refrain from everything too hot, acid or fat, and prefer drinking tee to sodas. Never eat shortly before going to bed, and try if you can sleep with the heas lifted a bit higher up which keeps the acid away from your oesophagus.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I had those two episodes about 2 months ago I think it was, the doctor told me to take prevacid twice a day for a month and about a week ago I stopped taking it two times and just took it once a day. Is this something really bad? All day today i have burped some times and sometimes I try to burp and I cant, I have only ate a yogurt today, I am worried that this is something bad

No, This is not bad, it just may be that you need the higher dose. Bad issues don't get better at all. Still you should have a gastroscopy if you need Prevacid for good. Yoghurt is sour and was the wrong diet only.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what should I eat?

White bread, cooked or boiled food. Tea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm overweight and smoke
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are these two things the things that caused this?

Yes, they are, among others. Being overweight opens the stomach's entrance to the oesophagus and enables the acid to get into it. Smoking itself irritates the tissue and leads to more acid in your stomach.

You asked for help, I was there for you, and it was my pleasure to help you. But without your positive rating I won't receive any credit for it. If everything is quite clear, please don't forget to give a positive (hopefully 5 stars) feedback for me. Thank you very much!

You have been a faithful customer who nearly always gave his experts the possibility to get some money for their help by rating them. What can I do to satisfy you with my answers?