Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

About a month or two ago I had 2 really bad episodes of acid

Customer Question

For Dr David : About a month or two ago I had 2 really bad episodes of acid reflux, last night I had got home late and ate dinner around 7:30 and didn't think anything of it and laid down, the acid reflux i got got was bad and fell asleep a few hours later on the chair after taking prevacid and zantac, i take prevacid every day but today its still bothering me, its not as bad as last night but still there, I had a yogurt for lunch and that it, it feels like i have to burp and sometimes I can and
Category: Medical
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

He doesn't seem to be working now. May I take your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS?

Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I am. Sorry for the delay because I had an emergency patient.

Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Please continue to write after "sometimes I can and" if you have more information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes I can't
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Are the medications over-the-counter ones or prescriptions? What kind of clothing do you wear? What foods do you eat? How much do you eat per meal? How long do you wait before lying down after meal? Do you smoke? Do you elevate the head of your bed? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problem? Any surgeries? Any other medications? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 5 foot 6, I am about 270, prescriptions, just 150mg of Zoloft, I wear jeans And shirts, sometimes I eat good things and sometimes bad, sometimes smal portions and sometimes I over due it, a lot of times I lay down not too long after I eat, yes I smoke, I don't elevate my bed, I have extremely bad anxiety, last night I think what triggered it was the fact I got home late and ate and then not thinking of it I laid down and that's when it started, no medical problems other than bad anxiety, no surgeries, no other medications other than vitamins and Prevacid, family medical history is heart problems and diabetes
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

The risk factors of acid reflux are overweight, smoking, diet (fatty foods, caffeine, chocolate, spicy foods, food with high fat content, carbonated beverages, and peppermint), tight-fitting garments. You should decrease your weight, not eat foods which trigger it, avoid tight-fetting garments, eat smaller meals, wait at least three hours after eating before lying down or going to bed, place wood or cement blocks under the feet of your bed so that the head end is raised by 6 to 9 inches. You should see your doctor and get prescription-strength proton pump inhibitors.