Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I was in the ER on Monday night kidney stone. Was sent home

Customer Question

I was in the ER on Monday night for a kidney stone. Was sent home with pain killers and after a miserable night and part of the next day, things startd to fet better. I believe the stone passed today because I saw what looked like a brown crystal in the toilet after urinating. However, this evening I had the sever pain againthT lasted about 15 minutes. It subsided, and then hit agsin about 9:30, lasting for about 45 minutes. The pain is nearly as sever as the first night, however it is now more in the front of my lower abdomen, rather than around the back. I am trying to decide if I need to go back to the ER, or just wait it out. Is this normal? Thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It sounds that you have a stone breaking up and passing or a few separate stones passing. The change locale of pain would make sense as you may be having stone pass to lower ureter.

I think you are ok to follow up this week. Not necessarily have to go to ER tonight.

Push water and other fluids (8 ounces or more every hour while awake) (NOT TEA!!)

Anti-inflammatory meds may reduce inflammation of ureter to allow more if stone to pass...

I do advise follow up soon to ensure that it clears as it should. ( a blocked ureter in that side could even cause that kidney to fail so you have to follow up and make sure that it has cleared and kidney function is ok...

Helpful if you can catch a stone to have it tested for what type it is..

I hope that this information is helpful Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I do have a follow up appointment on the 22nd. A CT scan in the ER showed one stone, 4mm. I was surprised that the intense pain has returned after a day of just a dull ache after the initial attack. This can be normal then?

Hello again,

Yes it can be normal.A kidney stone may break up or have small fragments or shards not seen by a CT scan. If pain should progress and not relent or you have other very concerning symptoms then you might be seen earlier but I think you should do fine to push fluids and control the pain and plan to keep your follow up as planned.

I hope that this is helpful.Let me know if you have further concerns

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

PS it would be helpful if you may collect a stone and have it tested

If it is most common type = calcium oxalate then you would want to avoid tea (rich in oxalates) the medicine HCTZ may reduce calcium excretion...

If a uric acid type stone then that would also help with management to help prevent future recurrence...

I hope that this is helpful for you.Please remember to leave positive feedback Thank you and Best Regards!

Let me know if I may be of further help!

Anthony Bray MD