Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

How should symptoms last after pneumonia? Diagnosed and

Customer Question

How long should symptoms last after pneumonia? Diagnosed and treated in June. Had a chest infection a month ago and treated as well. Still feel weak, fatigue, shortness of breath, sometimes cough up clear junk. No fever, chills, etc...
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if you are still having shortness of breath, you need to get a follow up chest CT scan and a pulmonary function test.

if you are still coughing, you might be having bronchiectasis or swelling of your airways and you might need a course of steroid therapy to help calm down swelling of your airways

you might need inhalers like ventolin to help open up airways.

it doesn't sound like you have had a course of steroids yet.

often times a course of methylprednisolone can help decrease swelling in the lungs and help calm down cough and swollen airways

let me know if you have questions.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I have a different answer.

First of all, to answer your specific question.

No, symptoms of pneumonia should not last this long. You should NOT currently have these symptoms.

Complications in this scenario can account for persistent symptoms, or your symptoms specifically.

Abscess. This can be diagnosed with repeat x ray prior to resorting to CT scan.

Pulmonary embolus. This would require EKG and high resolution CT scan.

Heart problems. This requires an immediate EKG.

Partially collapsed lung, x ray will diagnose this.

This is not normal...you should not wait around to follow up.

To be safe [since we can not examine you] you should go to the ER now.

I am a double board certified US MD. I am a clinical doctor, meaning I have taken care of patients hands on for over 10 years, and I have been in charge of well over 1000 pneumonia cases, as well as others.

I will always give you correct, safe, precise and comprehensive answers.

Find me anytime in medical by request.

I am here daily.

Please click a positive rating on my answer page above so that I am credited and paid for my expertise.

Thanks

Let me know if you have further questions.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

at your age, it would be super unlikely for you to have heart problems. and heart problems would not cause your symptoms.

at your age, it would be super super unlikely for you to have a PE or blood clot in your lungs.

at your age, it would be super super unlikely for you to have collapsed lung or pneumothorax.

the most common cause for cough and shortness of breath after a pneumonia, is bronchiectasis and swelling of your airways

steroid therapy and bronchodilators often will help decrease your cough and help your shortness of breath.

I suggested a chest CT for you in my initial response

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com