Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Gastric antral mucosa with moderate intestinal metaplasia

Customer Question

gastric antral mucosa with moderate intestinal metaplasia Please tell me what is the meaning of this
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I would be glad to assist you today.

Metaplasia refers to situations in which normal tissue is replaced by tissue that would typically be found elsewhere. Under the microscope, the new tissue looks like it should look in the other location, but is found in the wrong location. This actually can happen many places in the body.

In your case, the biopsy of the stomach lining in the lower portion of the stomach, the gastric antrum, found tissue that would be normally found in the intestine.

The intestinal metaplasia is fairly common and is not, by itself, a problem. The concern with metaplasia is that it increases the risk of developing cancer of the stomach. The majority of people with intestinal metaplasia do not develop stomach cancer, but there is an increased likelihood when compared to the general population. The risk is particularly greater the intestinal metaplasia is more severe or when other risk factors are present, such as smoking, infection with H. pylori, or a close family member with stomach cancer. So, your doctor will not be concerned about the intestinal metaplasia as much as concerned about the future risk of stomach cancer that the intestinal metaplasia represents.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.