Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I HAVE A CAT BITE THAT IS STArting to swell. sshould i go to

Customer Question

I HAVE A CAT BITE THAT IS STArting to swell. sshould i go to the emergency room or is there something i can do till tomorrow.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

How long ago was the bite?

Can you attach a picture of the bite?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

The timing is important because swelling that occurs immediately after a bite is not as worrisome as swelling that occurs later. Swelling can be a sign of infection, but since it takes some time for an infection to develop, swelling that happens immediately is more related to the trauma of the injury. In that case, it would be OK to try to control the swelling with ice and elevation. It is also possible to get immediate swelling from a type of allergy, so using some oral antihistamines may be helpful.

However, if there has been more time since the bite, swelling would be worrisome for a developing infection, and that would require urgent treatment. Although many cat bites do not get infected, when infections do happen, they can be very serious, so should be checked quickly. If this were during the day, it would be OK to be seen urgently by your regular doctor or at a Walk-In Clinic, but at night in most communities, an emergency room is the only option for quick care.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if any additional information would be helpful.