Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I was wondering i work with elderly residents..im a cna. We

Customer Question

I was wondering i work with elderly residents..im a cna. We have a resident who got her arm or maybe shoulder broke for the second time because the cna transferred her and im guessing got a little rough and anyways her shoulder, arm and part of her breast
are bruised.. ive never seen bruising like hers before. Its almost black not blue like most bruises. I was wondering she does have no use of arm before the break but is the bruising caused by the break or from the transfer from the cna.? I hope i explained
my question well enough...im very bothered by what i saw and the cna that did it is a little rough i believe with the residents.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops i asked a question not regarding weight loss.....which category should i use for questioning,
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

The arm fracture would indeed be associated with much bleeding into her arm tissues. This would explain the terrible and even black bruising...

I would suspect that she may very well have severe osteoporosis. This may need to be checked and she may benefit from a treatment plan for that condition (although this is very slow at best ...)

She should have a care plan approved by her orthopedic specialist whom is treating her for the fracture.

She probably needs a group care meeting of the staff that are part of her care to ensure that she is not injured further. (No single person transfers at all for example.)

She will probably need two person transfers and techniques used to avoid pulling on arms or otherwise placing stress on her...

The bruising may be checked as at times a large hematoma may be internal of the tissue and might need attention. This could be reviewed by her orthopedic specialist..

I hope that this information is helpful for you! Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou...yes she does have osteoporosis. I just was so bothered by what i seen i needed to know what caused the bruising. Thanks for easing my mind..when i go back to work tomorrow i wont bring a bad attitude with me that would probably get me in trouble..i love my residents and never want to see them hurt thanks again

You are very welcome.Yes, I know what you mean that such an injury looks really awful! It is good and an encouragement that you are so conscientious! Let me know if I may be of further help.Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD