How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18211
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My adult son is refusing to eat or take s insulin. This is

Customer Question

My adult son is refusing to eat or take his insulin. This is over a 24 hour period. He is suffering from depression
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Do you think that he is doing this to try to commit suicide or otherwise harm himself?

Or is there another issue here?

Has he checked his blood sugar to see what level it currently is?

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back, but I want to address what to do if he is suicidal, as this may need to be done quickly.

If he is doing this as a suicide attempt, then the usual step would be to seek an emergency assessment. Although most adults cannot be forced to seek medical care, an adult that is suicidal and performing actions to attempt suicide is a key exception. Each state has a mechanism for a suicidal patient to be taken into custody and evaluated for whether they can be forced to receive care. Since the process is different from one state to another, I cannot say how it would be in your state, but if you contact the local hospital or police/sheriff office, they can inform you of the mechanism. In my state, a family member can appear before a magistrate that is available 24 hours per day to explain the situation and the magistrate can issue an order for a law enforcement officer to take the patient into custody and take them for an assessment.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.