Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I was just diagnosed with hashimos and papillary thyroid ca

Customer Question

I was just diagnosed with hashimos and papillary thyroid ca my h and ha are 9 / 26 plts 112 I have started synthroid iron and vitamin d watching to see if my labs increase is my dr doing the right thing or should I seek a second opinion
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Your doctor is correct in treating hypothryoid, but this is not the way to treat cancer.

You need to see a surgeon.

Surgery is the definitive treatment.

This can be cured.

It is followed usually by medical maneuvers.

You should not wait on this.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor. your hemoglobin and hematocrit levels are low.

you need blood testing to check your iron levels and ferritin levels and also B12 and folate levels.

low B12 or low folate can also cause low hemoglobin levels.

you need your stools checked as well. bleeding from your stools or from your monthly periods can cause low hemoglobin.

you need repeat blood tests in 1-2 months to check on your platelet levels to make sure they come up a bit. platelets of 112 are a bit low.

papillary thyroid cancer should be treated with a total thyroidectomy surgery to remove your thyroid gland.

this will also help your hashimotos thyroiditis since your thyroid gland will be removed and won't be able to get inflamed anymore.

has your doctor referred you to see a surgeon for the thyroid surgery?