Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am a 28 year old 5'2" and 220 lbs. I was 250 lbs a year

Customer Question

Hello I am a 28 year old 5'2" and 220 lbs. I was 250 lbs a year ago. With diet and exercise i have lost 30 lbs. But i keep fluctuating between 215 and 225. It has been a battle for me. I am starting to get depressed when i look in the mirror & i feel drained of energy. I don't know what to do so i talked with a few of my friends the said they were in the same position as me and told me that their doctor prescribed them a weight loss pill adipex & it worked for them. I really hate feeling helpless & thought i would ask what you thought i should do. Thank you
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I don't think the pill does a bit of good except help jumpstart the process, which you have already done.

You might well have an undiagnosed thyroid issue.

Doctors think, most of them, that up to 4.5 on a TSH value is normal

It is not.

Get the blood test.

If your TSH is higher than 2.5 [some say 2] you are hypothyroid.

That would need to be corrected as it will keep you heavy and cause other problems.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should go get a blood test then. Thank you I'll keep you posted

Yes.

Please do not forget to click a positive [top of answer page], or I am not paid.

Yes, let me know how this goes.

You can come back here, or find me by request in medical.