Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Can a person eat refrozen ice cream

Customer Question

can a person eat refrozen ice cream
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

If you are asking whether it is medically safe to eat refrozen ice cream, the answer is yes, as long as it was not left at room temperature for a long period of time. Neither milk or cream should be left at room temperature for a long period of time and then ingested.

However, if the ice cream is allowed to soften or melt in the refrigerator and then refrozen, then there is no safety concern. The texture will not be the same as it was before it was allowed to melt, and many people do not like the texture and mouth feel, but it would be safe to eat.

If it was allowed to melt at room temperature, but was refrozen quickly, it still would be safe to eat, but if it was left at room temperature for a longer period of time, there would be a safety concern.

So, any concern about safety would be due to a prolonged time at room temperature, not whether the ice cream is refrozen.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further information.