Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a pain on my lower throat on both sides It doesn't

Customer Question

I have a pain on my lower throat on both sides It doesn't hurt when I swallow and there is no bumbs or swelling what do you think this is?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

To provide a complete answer, it will help if you could provide some further information.

How long has this been bothering you?

Have you had any fever? If so, how high is the temperature?

Have you had any associated symptoms, such as cough or heartburn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fever and it been like that since last night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No cough or burn symptoms

Thank you for the additional information.

The most common cause of pain in the throat that has been present for a day is a viral infection of the throat. It is common for a viral throat infection to cause pain with no bumps, swelling, or other associated symptoms. If there are no associated symptoms, it is very unlikely that it would be a Strep infection, so it is typically not recommended to be checked for Strep with this presentation.

There are many other conditions that can cause throat pain, such as drainage from allergies or acid reflux, but we typically are not concerned about these possibilities when the pain has only been present for a day and there are no associated symptoms. If the pain persists, then there may need to be consideration of other possible causes.

It is reasonable to use medicines to ease the sore throat and see if the pain resolves spontaneously as would be expected from a viral infection. The most commonly used medicines for throat pain are throat lozenges and acetaminophen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.