Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Sun 27 Sept I developed a cold that turned into synisitis.

Customer Question

Sun 27 Sept I developed a cold that turned into synisitis. by Wed 30 Sept I also picked up a vomiting/diarrhoea bug that carried on until Saturday 3 Oct when I went to the Doctor and he gave me Nodia & Enerlyte to rehydrate me.
I have been taking the medication along with Panadol he prescribed. Vomiting & diarrhoea have stopped since yesterday, but I still can't eat normally, am drinking a lot of water & feel very weak still on Monday morning. There is no way I could go to work. Is this normal at this point, or should I be much improved?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your condition and ill try to answer your question here. Before i can do that i need some additional information such as,

Do you have any fever ? any abdominal pain ? Do you have any other medical conditions?

This is an Information Request, Not an answer

Hello again,

Since you seem to be offline ill answer your question and we can discuss any follow up questions that you might have when you come back online.

Well from what you are describing it does seem like you seemed to have a viral gastroenteritis which is a condition in which a virus infects your gastrointestinal tract and cause diarrhea and vomiting. The diarrhea is usually watery in nature can cause multiple episodes per day. Now its also possible that you simply had food poisoning which is slightly different in that it is usually caused by toxins in various food products however with your previous history its likely to be viral in nature. Viral infections are usually self limiting in nature and resolve within 2-5 days however can extend upto 7 days in some cases. Since your diarrhea and vomiting have settled, this is usually a sign of improvement. The residual weakness is most likely due to the dehydration which you suffered during the diarrheal phase. The Enerlyte which you are on is the best treatment for this sort of diarrheal illnesses as it contains all the required electrolytes which your body has lost.

Now this is normal for the time being, this sort of weakness should start to resolve in the next 24-48 hours and you should feel much better then. As i said it usually takes the illness 2-7 days to work through your system and the weakness should start to improve in the next couple of days. However if you have fever, and you again develop diarrhea which contains any blood or mucus in the stools, then you would have to go see your doctor , so that you can be started on antibiotics. The blood or mucus and the fever can indicate a bacterial infection which would need antibiotics.

So i would recommend that for now you continue with this treatment and wait another 24-48 hours to see signs of improvement. In the meantime stick to the BRAT diet, which consists of bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast. Keep drinking adequate amounts of water and continue with the enerlyte. If you do develop fever during this time, dont forget to contact your doctor for antibiotics.

Please feel free to contact me in case of follow up queries.

I hope I have been helpful and this answers your query. Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR Dr. Muneeb Ali".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Hello again,

I see that you haven't accepted/ rated my answer, Do you have any more questions i can help you with? Do you need more information? I do hope you are feeling better.

Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge although any bonuses would be appreciated. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you.