DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

My fingers feel numb like I 't have good sensation in them

Customer Question

My fingers feel numb like I don't have good sensation in them and they very clumsy and uncoordinated if this makes any sense ? I work with small screws and stuff being that I assemble and tear down espresso machines commercial units which are composed of a lot of nuts and bolts
I am a long time cigarette smoker and I for some reason keep thinking this problem some how connected to my smoking ? Either that or it something neurological in origin ? Any info on what it can be caused from and or what tests I can have find would be greatly appreciated
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you could have a pinched nerve in your neck causing numbness and poor coordination.

or a small stroke in the brain could cause poor coordination and numbness

low blood magnesium levels or low B12 levels or abnormal thyroid hormone levels can cause problems.

you need to see a doctor to get a neurological exam and MRI scans of your neck and brain to check for problems

do you have a doctor you can see who can run some tests for you?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is not typical of a pinched nerve in the neck , or a stroke as you describe it. Possible, you are not prescribing neck problems or the radiculopathy that normally occurs, and the lack of coordination would not be typical.

It is consistent with neuropathy and diabetes is one of the most common causes.

B12 is unlikely as well with this presentation.

Heavy metal toxicity acts like this.

liver or kidney disease can cause this type of symptom.

alcohol and other symptoms.

The poor coordination is concerning, and although rare, even MS could start like this.

You can start with an internist....in most cases, that will get the diagnosis, and neuologists usually need a referral.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.