Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

Cyclic diarrhea about every 2 weeks. Starts with

Customer Question

cyclic diarrhea about every 2 weeks. Starts with plug,thinner long boli, ending in many 2" worm or shrimp like strings, then fluid and gas. Dirty and very smelly. Go to stool 5/6 times a day until over for 10 or more days. I do have diverticulosis. Gas pains are tough. Any advise?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
incident last only about 1 day during which I stay very close to BR. I am on several medications such as metroprlol, lisinipril. naprozin,ambian, baby aspirin. Most have side effects which include both diarrhia ans constipation. If any of this helps you folks.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

This is more likely to be due to irritable bowel syndrome where there is an alteration in bowel habits, and the most common pattern is constipation alternating with diarrhea, usually with one of these symptoms predominating. Also patients having irritable bowel syndrome complain of gas and flatulence. However if this is of recent onset then you may need to consult your doctor. But if this is a chronic symptom then on that day when you get the diarrhea you may take loperamide (immodium) to control the diarrhea. Also if there are any obvious food precipitants then you need to avoid them.

Take care.

Take care.