Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

After suffering from H.Pylori food poisoning 3 years ago and

Customer Question

After suffering from H.Pylori food poisoning 3 years ago and being hospitalized for 3 days, I have been on several digestive meds such as Xexium, Pepcid and Prilosec. I have been switched from one to another since the start of this but still get gastritis flare ups from food. It seems it doesn't matter what I eat. I never know when a reaction will happen and the pain is so severe that I ended up in the e/r at night a few times. What can be done for chronic gastritis through natural forms of healing?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There are several supplements that may be able to help with chronic or recurrent gastritis. Herbal supplements that are most often used include peppermint, cranberry, and mastic. An omega-3 supplement may help because of some anti-inflammatory properties. A probiotic supplement may help to promote the growth of healthy germs in the gut. Foods that are high in flavenoids appear to inhibit the growth of H. pylori, so may be helpful. Common foods include apples, cranberries, celery, onion, garlic, and tea.

In someone with stubborn gastritis despite multiple medicines, these supplements are usually not miracle cures, but they may be able to augment the effect of the medicines and get better control of the gastritis.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if any further information would be helpful.