Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I am currently at Sutter Medical Hospital in Roseville Ca. I

Customer Question

i am currently at Sutter Medical Hospital in Roseville Ca. I had my gallbladder removed on Friday, Sept. 25, 2015 at approximately 7:00 pm.
I have seen two different Doctors with two different opinions. I had an ERCP on the 27th due to the doc who removed my gallbladder made an attempt to remove a blockage that was seen on the ultra sound from ER. He stated that the Bile duct was to narrow for him to clear the blockage. Doctor wanted to see if my bilie rubin test results would be down the next day, Saturday the 26th. The lab showed that my levels did not go down, but went up significantly. On the 27 the ERCP was performed and it was unsuccessful to remove the blockage. Next step I was told was a PTC using a wire to slice between the blockage (which they suspect is a gallstone) and the duct wall to fish a balloon inserted by an ERCP and pull the balloon through the duct to remove the block.
Yesterday, I was being taken to have this procedure done, and found out the doc was called to an emergency so they brought me back to my room. That afternoon, early evening, a doctor came in and asked the nurse if I had been eating (no, still on nothing because of the coming procedure) he ordered clear diet, no more IV meds, possibly can go home Tues. 29th. My mother asked him, what about the blockage? The doctor said, "what blockage" my told him about what was going on and he said they should have never done the ERCP. meanwhile, all this time I am in sever pain.
Today, I'm back on clear liquids because some of my labs (liver enzyme's and bili Rubin) were off again. I do not know what to do, my mother is beside herself as to why there is two different diagnosis. I'm 27 and I don't know what to do. My mother explained what the other doctor told her, the Plan to fish out the blockage. Help!!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you need to talk to the doctor, most likely the interventional radiologist who was going to do the PTC percutanious transhepatic cholangiogram and ERCP procedure to pull a balloon through the blockage.

it sounds like the gall bladder procedure caused scar tissue in the biliary system and caused bile blockage

most likely your bilirubin levels are up, correct?

you should also talk to your doctor about ursodiol medication which over time can help dissolve gall stones.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how could scar tissue be seen by the ultrasound that showed I needed my gallbladder out? it does not seem logical, the gallbladder had not been removed yet.
Tests I have had while here in the hospital: 2 ultrasounds, MRI, X-rays of my abdomen, and an ERCP. My bilirubin levels and Liver function enzymes were both very high pre-surgery.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I though you already had your gall bladder removed in September.

you had problems of blockage after the surgery, correct?

have your bilirubin levels gone down after the gall bladder surgery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on Friday September 25th, 2015. I am still in the hospital because of my bilirubin levels and my liver function enzymes being elevated, then the levels of each go down a little then up. the blockage like I said, was seen on the very first ultrasound I had while in ER. The Doctor that did the ERCP and wants the PTC, still wants to do this procedure. My mom and I are really concerned about the differences between the Doctors-supposedly, all of the tests visually show a blockage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the doctor who removed my gall bladder state that he was unable to clear the bile duct due to how narrow it was and the doctor who performed the ERCP both say there's a blockage and then this doctor whom I have never seen, comes in and changes everything up and ask "what blockage" etc.
It's scary. The procedure has huge risks, I just don't understand.
I was just given something to eat and the doctor wants to see what my labs are tomorrow September 30th!
There is something wrong and extremely troubling about this situation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the wrong button was pushed to get your advice. my mother is helping with this
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

there is a blockage if your bilirubin levels are elevated.

all of the doctors there need to talk to each other.

they should have a medical conference at the hospital about your case and come up with a decision

I bet they can do a PTC procedure with a ERCP to try to find the problem area.

the doctors are obviously not talking to each other enough.

if they continue not to help you, you might have to ask to be transferred to a larger academic medical university hospital to find out what is wrong.