Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I am taking Norco 7,5/325 5 pills a day a while. Last week

Customer Question

I am taking Norco 7,5/325 5 pills a day for quite a while. Last week got depressed and on Friday and Saturday drank a bottle of red wine throughout day each if two days. On Friday a blood vessel on my hand got burst and I could not stop blood for quite
some time. At night had all body itchiing. Then it went away. Same day gave blood test and blood did not stop for a while. Do not take blood thinners. Take fluconazole 200 mg a day and Amox tr-ki clv. Did not go to emergency. Have little nausea, feel a little
sick. No jaundice. Did I get Tylenol poisoning? Need advice
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please not Doctor DAVID
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please not doctor David
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

For the average healthy adult, the recommended maximum daily dosage is no more than 4,000 milligrams (mg) of acetaminophen. But in some people even these doses close to the 4,000 mg daily limit can still be toxic to the liver. Hence its safest to take only what you need, and to not exceed 3,000 mg a day whenever possible. Therefore your current daily dosage does not exceed the maximum dosage and the body will break down most of the acetaminophen in a normal dose thereby avoiding the poisoning.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But does it matter that I drank two bottles of wine? I am not regular drinker, though an I am concerned about blood clotting very slowly and itching. Can it be related?
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

Drinking alcohol will cause the liver to convert more of the acetaminophen you take into toxic byproducts, hence the general recommendation is to limit or avoid alcohol. However with your current dosage of acetaminophen which is about 1500 mg the alcohol you took should not cause any disturbance in metabolism of acetaminophen. But in future do avoid or limit the alcohol intake.

Take care.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for bothering you, maybe I am getting paranoid, but you did not answer about itching and slow blood clotting. Also today I hve dull (not strong) pain in right quadrant of my belly.
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer,

Thanks for your reply.

You are not bothering. I understand. However without any objective evidence of clotting disorder such as results from bleeding and clotting tests you need not worry. What you are having is a subjective feeling where you feel that your blood is not clotting normally. However only with tests we will know whether this is correct or due to anxiety wherein we will sometimes exaggerate our symptoms. Hence now the only option left for you is to see your doctor and tell him that you are worried that your blood is not clotting normally based on the experiences you had and tell him/her to do the clotting tests. If these turn out to be normal then you have no need to worry. Also itching and pain in the abdomen may be due to many causes and are not specific for acetaminophen poisoning. Hence even for these symptoms your doctor needs to do a physical exam, and if you want to be absolutely sure that your liver is normal you can ask him/her to do liver function tests which will detect any liver abnormality.

Take care.