Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

OCD big problem: The trigger: two weeks ago I was dropping

Customer Question

OCD big problem: The trigger: two weeks ago I was dropping stuff off at Goodwill Industries and using their disposal bin in the alley. I didn't realize it was the same disposal bin the SPCA in back uses to dump their worm laden dog poop in their sealed
bags. So I was walking around the outside of the bin and was concerned I could have gotten some worm eggs on my shoes or pants, since they steady the poop bags on the ground before tossing them in the bin. Also, some worms could have come out when I tossed
my trash in there. I talked to our bug control guy at work about my concern and he said not to worry because even if I tracked worm eggs home on my shoes or pants, the life span is short for worm eggs outside of their host. So I didn't worry until I double
checked with a Dog Vet on Just Answer. She said roundworms and certain other flatworm eggs have hearty life spans and can live outside the host for months. Now I'm really worried and afraid to come in contact with anything for fear I"ll contaminate with worm
eggs I tracked in to my clothes, shoes, etc. I am afraid to go to my doctor appointment on Tuesday for fear I'll contaminate the office. Can you refer this question to an M.D. Psychiatrist, since he's probably more up on anatomy background and better qualified
to answer my question than a psychologist would be. A week ago, I took some canvas bags of alumni gear to our sports bar where we watch our college team play football on TV. I put those bags on the tables where we eat and distribute the alumni material...pens,
pom poms, etc. I hadn't worried about it once my bug control guy at work said worm eggs die quickly, but once the Vet told me about longer life spans, I started to worry, because I load the canvas bags at my place where my shoes and clothes come in contact
with it. Now I'm worried that some worm eggs might get transfrred to the area where people eat from my canvas bags. Then I"d feel guilty about causing someone to get sick. Does this sound like a far-fetched scenario, or is it merely my OCD catastrophizing
a possibility ? Can you give me some advice and help. I am seeing a psychiatrist, but can't get in to see here except for Med Check, and I'm not sure the meds are helping. Please give me some medical advice if you think I have a valid concern about the alumni
canvas bags. Would it be the responsible thing to tell our alumni folks about the issue, or would that be irresponsible because it might create undue alarm for no good reason, and merely feed into my compulsion to do something to re-assure myself ?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

It sounds that you have excess and unreasonable fear due to your OCD to me.

First of all it does not make sense to me that the SPCA would be depositing waste from dogs to a bin used for drop off items for Goodwill?? That to me does not add up --- ???

Worm eggs may be present in the soil where cats and dogs defecate potentially. Humans do not usually tend to contract worm infestations. Some species require fecal oral transmission. Some species can access the skin such as if you walk barefoot in contaminated areas.

You should not need worry as to tracking eggs on your clothes or shoes. You wash your clothes...you keep shoes on the floor. You would not seem to have any unusual risk of contracting or transmitting any parasitic infection.

I think that your worry is much more a factor of OCD rather than a realistic reason to worry. You sound that you are already connected to a psychiatrist . Anxiety meds usually help vs OCD and counseling may help you in this regard as well. The health anxiety type issue is a common theme in OCD. There is this tendency to WORRY about one or more issues to the exclusion of other more realistic concerns!

If you should develop any clinical signs of a GI infection then it may be tested and treated. You are not likely at all to need this!

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns.I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Goodwill and SPCA are across the alley from each other. The disposal bin is a trash bin for throwing stuff out, not a drop-off bin, which is somewhere else. Thanks, ***** ***** your help, but I was wondering if some of the eggs could have come in contact with the shoes, since poop bags were being dumped there already. I mentioned a few other things and asked questions that you didn't directly answer and I'd appreciate it if you'd address those, if possible, too. I am still pretty concerned.

Hello again!

You and everyone else has probably had some contact with work eggs in your shoes at some time. It probably was not dropping off anything at that shrimp site. If the SPCA drops off bags containing animal waste then these would be CONTAINED in the bags.

I think that you need not worry about your alumni canvas bag. NO -- DO NOT WARN OTHERS THAT YOU MAY HAVE CONTAMINATED THEM WITH WORK EGGS!! That should NOT be the case at all. That is only a great way to get yourself ostracized !!!

Not a good idea in any sense!!

Relax!!

Your worry is a product of your imagination here. You imagine worm eggs . You and anyone else may be exposed in our environment to parasitic infections and bacteria and viral infections but the circumstances that you specify here are not the concern.

There is not any valid reason to suspect that you or anyone else was exposed to a parasitic infection based on your history.

I hope that this is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions that I have not addressed . I will be happy to get back with you.Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD