Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have COPD and last couple of days I've had upper

Customer Question

I have COPD and for the last couple of days I've had upper respiratory issues that sounds like wheezing, sometimes even sounds like a whistle. When I was laying down earlier today, I could hear noises coming from inside my upper chest. What should I do? Lots of loud coughing too. I am a senior citizen. When I start to cough will all the loud noises I begin to tremble from fear I'm dying.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It will help if you could provide some further information.

Do you have any inhalers for the COPD?

Are you taking any chronic medicines for any medical problems?

Hello. Did you receive the request for further information?

I had asked for some further information and have not heard back.

There are several issues of what should be done when someone with COPD is having upper respiratory and chest congestion and cough. It will be good to take a medicine to thin the mucus, such as guaifenesin. A decongestant may also be helpful, assuming that there is no reason to avoid exposure to decongestants, which is one of the reasons that I ask what medicines you are taking.

However, it is also important that there be proper treatment of the COPD, which is usually done by various inhalers. If you have not been prescribed inhalers for the COPD, such as medicines to relieve spasm of the airways, such as albuterol, and medicines to ease inflammation in the airways, such as steroid inhalers.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.